A Narrative Game of Adventure for Scoundrels
Picaroons is an adventuring tabletop roleplaying game for picaresque adventures; take on the role of a picaroon, a rogue who must rely on their wits to make their way in an uncaring world.
Use this game text however you please, so long as you’re not a bigot, fascist, or other piece of dogshit.
This project is under development!
It currently includes lightweight rules for adjudication, character creation/advancement, combat, companions, hirelings, and resting. It also includes 6 picaresques, adventure kickstarts to drop you in media res and get to playing!
You can also buy Picaroons on itch, where it is itchfunding! Buying a copy gets you a print-at-home PDF as well as as the EPUB release.
✔ $200 USD #
I’ll be able to afford proper editing of the core book. Minimum price will rise $2USD!
✔ $500 USD #
I’ll be able to afford layout of the core book. Minimum price will rise $1USD!
❓ $750 USD #
I’ll be able to afford custom character sheets. Minimum price will rise $1USD!
❓ $1000 USD #
I’ll be able to afford an initial print run of the core book, details to follow as we close in on this goal.
❓ $1250 USD #
I’ll have actually been remunerated for some of the writing! As the remaining zines are completed, I’ll add itchfunding projectsfor them as well. In the meantime, you can pre-buy them as add-ons! Note that their minimum price will go up as they get completed, so buying early is also buying at a discount!
Upcoming Projects #
Scrivener’s Kit #
In this zine, guidance for the player(s) running Picaroons through adventures, featuring:
- Adjudication Flow: when to call for tests and advice for interpreting them
- Conversions: help for pulling content from anywhere else into Picaroons
- Addenda: optional systems for reputations, relationships, factions, downtime, etc.
Tricks of the Trade #
In this zine, examples of tricks and subsystems to expand on them, featuring:
- The Supernatural: tricks for pacts with magical entities, spell scholarship, rituals, bindings, and unlocking the magic within
- The Merely Mundane: tricks for feats of arm, deep skill, and knowledge as power
- Training, Study & Quests: how to acquire tricks without spending marks
Questing Curios #
In this zine, examples of domains-as-items, featuring:
- Relics: powerful items with conditions and unlocks, made by powerful entitites
- Soulslivers: items which grow as they are used
- Banal Magic: disposable items whose power wanes with use
- Alchemy: a subsystem for creating and using consumable magic
Palatial Shadows #
In this zine, an urban hexflower featuring:
- The Palace: 7 hexes of palatial grounds
- The City: featuring numerous neighborhoods, including The Docks, The Old City, Riverside, The Steel Quarter, Ashtown, Gilded Grove, and more
- Factions: The Regent, The Raptors, Alchemist’s Guild, The Silent Librarians, The Students' Union, Drake’s Kin, and more
- Characters: Numerous folk of note, including hirelings, potential companions, patrons, and people with problems.
- Lifepath: An alternate character creation flow to raise Picaroons beneath the shadow of the great palace
- Hearsay: timelines of events happening in the city and advice on bringing them into play